The Rotowaro Coalfield and Opencast Mine – the second largest opencast coal mine in New Zealand – is located 10 km west of Huntly township.
It was first mined in 1915 after a branch railway and a bridge were put over the Waikato River. The present opencast mine opened in 1958.
The majority of Rotowaro coal goes by overland conveyor to Genesis Power Ltd’s Huntly Power Station and by rail to New Zealand Steel’s Glenbrook steel mill. The remainder supplies North Island industrial and home heating markets.
Overburden removal and coal extraction at Rotowaro are contracted out to Stevenson Mining Limited, a 100% family-owned New Zealand company.
For information about the Rotowaro Opencast Mine, download our Rotowaro Mine Fact Sheet (PDF, 3.2 MB).